// Liberty Lost While you were Watching the Distractions: The Voices of Liberty
Liberty Lost
This Blog Challenges Fascism

Tuesday, February 08, 2005

The Voices of Liberty

The voices of Liberty, are Freedom's song.

The voices of liberty are not the ones that you hear on the evening news.
They are not the voices of Condi, Rummy, or Georgie or any of the folks waving flags.
The voices of liberty are the ones I mentioned awhile back in my tribute piece on the life of Susan Sontag, the voices of dissent.
There are other voices that hate that liberty, the voices that start with a shout of 'you couldn't say that if you were in IraCommuStan!' and if that's where they stopped they would be fine, but they don't.
They go on to call the voices of dissent the 'Hate America' crowd, and we all know that in a with us or against us world, if someone hates you,
you're obliged, no required to hate them as well, destroy them if you can - evil must be destroyed like the left over used Styrofoam cups after a summer picnic.
Never mind we're talking about people, not garbage, never mind that evil is an act not a person.

In the last week I have watched two people savaged by these silencers of freedom, one a businessman in the business of news simply concerned for the safety of his employees a Mr. Eason Jordan, chief news executive at CNN.
Mr. Jordan's statement dates back to sometime before Nov. 20 2004, and is nothing more than a plea that the military be responsible in it's actions towards journalists and not shoot them out of the press hotel windows.

The other is a native peoples activist by the name of Ward Churchill, where Mr. Churchill goes controversy follows, always will, but that is no reason to remove the man from his means of income.
What could he have done this time?
Nothing it turns out, he's being persecuted for a statement he made Sept. 12th, 2001 that made a few simple observations about possible reasons for the attack of the day before.
The observations that these anointed keepers of true freedom have chosen to attack him for is one that the victims of the Pentagon were not innocent civilian victims, he's right but that doesn't matter to the keepers of the new faith.
The other is that workers in the financial offices of the WTC were in effect little Eichmanns and by no means 'innocent'.
That can be argued both ways but Churchill is a firebrand and self assigned advocate for the smallest of the small in the world scene facing oppression reinforced by the weight of time, geography, and economics - his job is not to say pretty things, if you want that visit hallmark.com.

These my friends are two voices of liberty being silenced by the nationalistic fascism that so easily flows when a country feels threatened.
Voices that are needed all the more in such times to be sure that we do not forget what real freedom is and to be sure that when we search the world for evil we don't forget to check the mantles of power in our own house.

--- Paul G.

Update: Feb 10 12:45am
Since I wrote this I have seen Churchills conference on the issue and he's more honest than any activist I have ever seen. I also saw Governor Bill Owens of Colorado speak and spout lies about Churchill calling for attacks against America - Churchill did no such thing, he said that that would be the result of our actions, and it has been, on 9/11/02 and 11/07/41.
A nation does not operate in a vacuum and the same for individuals, if you know that your job is taking the food out of the mouths of children in the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd world you are a little eichman a technician of death removed from the object of your action only by distance, not by moral responsibility.

8 Comments:

Blogger Sheryl said...

Thanks for sharing that, Paul, and it's nice to see you feel well enough to post again. :)

All opposing ideas are being crushed and marginalized these days. My favorite TV show NOW is down to 30 minutes. Could it possibly be because Bush appointed RNC contributors to the PBS Board of Directors? Nah, why would I think that?

2/09/2005 11:59:00 AM

 
Blogger 1138 said...

That's the establishment corporate crush Sheryl,
not surprising since PBS has been within the clutches of Government from it's inception only relieved by the charity of more enlightened attitudes of administrations in earlier times.

2/10/2005 01:59:00 AM

 
Blogger Robin said...

Welcome back to the living, Paul! I'm glad to see you finally kicked the sick! Thanks for writing this. I'm not wrapped in my flag, so I guess that makes me one of those 'merica haters. Truth be told, I probably would have already moved to Naples, but I have this need to stay and fight for the 'merica I remember. I'm a child of the Clinton years...sigh...and if my kids want to live in this country, I need to try for as long as I can to hold out...to work for a place where I know they'll be alright.
BTW - I checked out your other blog. I am in awe. You're stuff is phenominal. What format do you shoot? That does not all look like 35mm. I'm wagering medium format...Hassy perhaps?

2/10/2005 08:33:00 AM

 
Blogger 1138 said...

Thank you for your concern, I am by no means better yet - I weaken very quickly and can only sit or stand for short times but it's longer all the time.
It's been over a week without a cigarettte and each day that gets easier and harder, easier in the macro moments measured in hours, harder in the micro moments like the quite time after dinner.

Gov. Pataki of New York State (too bad he thinks its the city) wants Ward's head on a platter too.
Neither of these men are outraged in the least by what Churchill really said - they just want to make emotional political mileage off what they can pretend he said and inflame the mob.
If hating the actions of bastards like these two Governors hating America, I'd have to painted guilty. But what I really hate is what these bastards are doing to America - they don't love her or they wouldn't try and paint her up and use her as their whore.

2/10/2005 09:21:00 AM

 
Blogger 1138 said...

That last post has so much mistyped and misspelled, please excuse me.

2/10/2005 09:27:00 AM

 
Blogger Sheryl said...

Cigarettes? Paul, what on earth are you thinking?!!!! That blows me away. Sorry.

2/11/2005 01:13:00 AM

 
Blogger 1138 said...

Sheryl,

We all have a vice - or we all did until I gave up smoking, now I'm viceless.

2/11/2005 01:14:00 AM

 
Blogger Sheryl said...

Oooommm....bad poem coming on....

I feel inspired, better duck.
This magic ball tells all
And I see fortune, wealth, good health, and luck...

For a man without vice
Is bound to be nice,
And no more choking
From all that smoking.
Is worth the price.

[Insert wind chimes and bells for ethereal affect.]

2/11/2005 05:21:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 


"When marble wears away, and monuments are dust, the songs that guard our soldier's clay, will still fulfil their trust."
"What the world needs now is love, sweet love
It's the only thing that there's just too little of..".