What a chilling photograph. I believe the Klan still gets to put up a cross in Cincinnati's city square every Xmas. Perfect photograph for those of us who are feeling the chill blowing across the land.
And even in the present day, a former member of that racist organization opposes the nomination of a black woman to a top government office. Sad, isn't it?
If he opposed her because she was black you would have a point. If he supported he because she was black, you would have a point. If he overlooked her participation in lies, deception and propaganda to support her -just because she is a minority- then he'd be the shameful pig you paint him. But he's none of those things and being a former member of something does not make you a permanent member of it. Some people learn, others just renew their membership in the Republican party. The party who's use and who's members of the KKK, brought the KKK down through crime and fraud. But you wouldn't know about that, it's called HISTORY.
Thanks for the ageism reference kid. Right, I was snapping off shots 5 years before I was born. I credit pictures where I can, this one is from the national archives - I'll mod the post just to keep you happy.
Why did I post it? - because all kinds of scoundrels will hide behind the flag, just like the ones in the picture. The date is the key.
Gecko, How many people have been lynched by NOW or the members of the Million Man March? How many churches did they bomb? How many civil rights workers were murdered by them? How many members of the Million Man March or NOW wear hoods to hide their identities? Your parallels are specious, and are the arguments I've come to expect from people who think that vitriol passes for discussion.
I stand thoroughly cowed. I had to look up those big words you used. I did not think it vitriolic to suggest that free speech is not reserved for the wholly innocent.
Your comment seems to imply that you think that I have difficulties with NOW and African-Americans. Is this your thinking?
Face it. We cannot reserve freedom of speech for the rightious and innocent. For example, you may appluad abortion rights activists, where I believe they sanction murder. Should I be able to deny them the right to march on Washington?
Free speech is free speech. As much as I hate the Klan and everything they stand for, I believe that bringing their beliefs out into the light is the best way to deal with them. But I also believe that there is such a thing as "hate speech." That if the Klan marches through a neighborhood and says "we're going to lynch you if you register to vote," AS THE KLAN DID (and I'd be happy to suggest a half-dozen histories of the civil rights movement) then, as with all issues, we enter a nebulous zone where your right to swing your fist through the air ends the moment it comes in contact with my nose. Now. You asked me if I think you implied that the Klan and NOW and the Million Man March were related. So, I put the question back to you. You said that you saw the picture, instantly thought derision, and then remembered NOW and the MMM. So, my question is, what parallel were you drawing? What was your point? Rather than interpret you, I'm asking you directly? As to your belief that abortion is murder. Well, that's your opinion and obviously mine is different. NOW is about more than abortion rights. It's about a basic belief that women are human beings, and are entitled to all the same rights guaranteed to males. Wow. What a radical concept. The Klan is about more than lynching. But its entire philosophy is based on the idea that there is only one pure "race," (and race is a bullshit category) and that all methods to secure the rights of that race above all others can be used. And Gecko. The whole thing about my using big words was a red herring.
Honestly, I had to look up red herring, too. I hate fish. Sheryl used it on me once before as well.
I'm with you on hate speech, but who says what is hate and what isn't. I agree that once the line is crossed, it's criminal. Don't get me wrong; I dislike the KKK as much as you may.
As for a comparison between the KKK, NOW and the MMM, my only purpose was to point out that all kinds of groups have marched on the capitol, each with their various agendas.
Veteran, Technician, Photographer, Artist, Designer, Historian, Citizen You cannot spend 90% of your free time glued to a box inside four walls and have anything but an artificial idea of what the world is about. There is no perfect state, or system - economic, political, or social. Any effective society is going to have to borrow and adapt concepts from many systems to succeed.
"When marble wears away, and monuments are dust, the songs that guard our soldier's clay, will still fulfil their trust."
"What the world needs now is love, sweet love It's the only thing that there's just too little of..".
10 Comments:
What a chilling photograph. I believe the Klan still gets to put up a cross in Cincinnati's city square every Xmas. Perfect photograph for those of us who are feeling the chill blowing across the land.
1/21/2005 08:24:00 AM
And even in the present day, a former member of that racist organization opposes the nomination of a black woman to a top government office. Sad, isn't it?
1/24/2005 04:32:00 PM
Greg,
If he opposed her because she was black you would have a point.
If he supported he because she was black, you would have a point.
If he overlooked her participation in lies, deception and propaganda to support her -just because she is a minority- then he'd be the shameful pig you paint him.
But he's none of those things and being a former member of something does not make you a permanent member of it.
Some people learn, others just renew their membership in the Republican party.
The party who's use and who's members of the KKK, brought the KKK down through crime and fraud.
But you wouldn't know about that, it's called HISTORY.
1/24/2005 04:43:00 PM
So why did you post the picture? Did you take this one?
1/24/2005 11:52:00 PM
Thanks for the ageism reference kid.
Right, I was snapping off shots 5 years before I was born. I credit pictures where I can, this one is from the national archives - I'll mod the post just to keep you happy.
Why did I post it? - because all kinds of scoundrels will hide behind the flag, just like the ones in the picture.
The date is the key.
1/25/2005 12:33:00 AM
Well, my first thought upon seeing it was dirision. Then the brain kicked in and saw NOW, The million Man March, etc...
1/28/2005 01:17:00 AM
Gecko,
How many people have been lynched by NOW or the members of the Million Man March?
How many churches did they bomb?
How many civil rights workers were murdered by them?
How many members of the Million Man March or NOW wear hoods to hide their identities?
Your parallels are specious, and are the arguments I've come to expect from people who think that vitriol passes for discussion.
1/29/2005 09:19:00 AM
I stand thoroughly cowed. I had to look up those big words you used. I did not think it vitriolic to suggest that free speech is not reserved for the wholly innocent.
Your comment seems to imply that you think that I have difficulties with NOW and African-Americans. Is this your thinking?
Face it. We cannot reserve freedom of speech for the rightious and innocent. For example, you may appluad abortion rights activists, where I believe they sanction murder. Should I be able to deny them the right to march on Washington?
1/30/2005 03:35:00 AM
Free speech is free speech. As much as I hate the Klan and everything they stand for, I believe that bringing their beliefs out into the light is the best way to deal with them. But I also believe that there is such a thing as "hate speech." That if the Klan marches through a neighborhood and says "we're going to lynch you if you register to vote," AS THE KLAN DID (and I'd be happy to suggest a half-dozen histories of the civil rights movement) then, as with all issues, we enter a nebulous zone where your right to swing your fist through the air ends the moment it comes in contact with my nose.
Now. You asked me if I think you implied that the Klan and NOW and the Million Man March were related. So, I put the question back to you. You said that you saw the picture, instantly thought derision, and then remembered NOW and the MMM. So, my question is, what parallel were you drawing? What was your point? Rather than interpret you, I'm asking you directly?
As to your belief that abortion is murder. Well, that's your opinion and obviously mine is different. NOW is about more than abortion rights. It's about a basic belief that women are human beings, and are entitled to all the same rights guaranteed to males. Wow. What a radical concept.
The Klan is about more than lynching. But its entire philosophy is based on the idea that there is only one pure "race," (and race is a bullshit category) and that all methods to secure the rights of that race above all others can be used.
And Gecko. The whole thing about my using big words was a red herring.
1/30/2005 09:11:00 AM
Honestly, I had to look up red herring, too. I hate fish. Sheryl used it on me once before as well.
I'm with you on hate speech, but who says what is hate and what isn't. I agree that once the line is crossed, it's criminal. Don't get me wrong; I dislike the KKK as much as you may.
As for a comparison between the KKK, NOW and the MMM, my only purpose was to point out that all kinds of groups have marched on the capitol, each with their various agendas.
1/30/2005 11:55:00 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home