// Liberty Lost While you were Watching the Distractions: Iraq Elections
Liberty Lost
This Blog Challenges Fascism

Sunday, January 30, 2005

Iraq Elections

أنا اقترعت

The Holy War-roirs are having a field day today, elections of a sort are happening in Iraq.
There's nothing wrong with that, I wish the Iraqi people well, I hope they can produce a government that puts the interests of it's people above the interests of the wealthy, the 'elite', the powerful.
History has shown time and again that in the end outside forces will lose in any effort to impose it's will no matter how well intended.
The American Revolution, the Czechoslovakian Velvet Revolution, the Eastern German uprising, Romania's bloody uprising all had one thing in common the uniting of a people against oppressors many of which were as bad or worse that Saddam, there may have been support from outside forces, but the real results are attributable to the people not to invading forces.
The new government of Iraq is being created due to the efforts of outside forces, the government that evolves out of this one will be the will of the nation, if they forgive us for the betrayal of the 1991 uprising and the ravaging of an infrastructure during the invasion and occupation of 2003-20(??) then it might be friendly.
That is if we've been honest fair and just in helping the establishment of a new government. Negroponte's appointment as ambassador and the high number of 'expatriots' running for office puts that possibility into serious doubt.

So, the people of Iraq, I wish you well, I hope against hope that you can manage to steer a course that is in the moderate model of history and that when you throw off the next government based on the Halliburton model on your own that you create one that represents the real values of democracy, not another fanatical theocratic state.

12 Comments:

Blogger gecko said...

Democracy will work in Iraq. I don't believe that a people's resistance movement is a requirement. That sounds like a romantic ideal.

Look at Afganistan; is that not democracy?

1/30/2005 11:34:00 PM

 
Blogger 1138 said...

Afganistan is not yet a democracy, no.
One election does not a democracy make, you might have a skeleton but the creature that flesh's it out might be a fish, or it might me a tiger.
Afganistan is a country that -could- be on the road to democracy, that will not be known until after the current government relinquishes power to another elected government.

1/30/2005 11:40:00 PM

 
Blogger gecko said...

Right, and the same goes for Iraq.

BTW, I didn't hear of a massive increase in terrorist activity that was expected in the election. Given that this day is a monumental victory for the Iraqi people, you'd think they would have stepped up their activity...

1/30/2005 11:46:00 PM

 
Blogger 1138 said...

I don't think I said anything different in my original post - this can't be called victory, a democracy will not exist in Iraq or Afganistan for some time, at best you can call this stuff democratic processes, but democracy is much more than the exercise of a few processes.

"I didn't hear of a massive increase in terrorist activity"
Neither did I, what that would mean would be pure speculation. Terrorism is not pitched battle, the idea is to make maximum effect with minimum effort, being that all the coalition boys and girls had their best game on it would have been a bad time to make significant hits, but a damned good time to study coalition methods and operations.
The resistance does not care that this election took place, their goals are much longer term than the American TV ratings schedule, or the US Administrations Poll numbers.

1/31/2005 12:06:00 AM

 
Blogger Sheryl said...

I don't think you have democracy when only certain parties are allowed to participate and people are afraid for their safety to the vote or don't trust the process enough to bother using it.

1/31/2005 07:04:00 PM

 
Blogger gecko said...

Paul, you've been out of the military for too long. It takes many, many victories in battle to win any war.

2/01/2005 12:42:00 AM

 
Blogger 1138 said...

Gecko,
You've been in the military too long (turn about's fair play and all that).
Wars are not won on the battlefield, only fought there.
Strategic objectives are seldom visible in the middle of a tactical situation and extreme care is always needed to ensure that the often conflicting objectives of the two do not damage each other.
Winning the battle and losing the war is a real situation, one we face today.
If strategic objectives are muddy, no amount of good work in the field will matter and can produce negative results in theaters outside the scope of the original plan. Bad initial planning, and shifting of objectives can cause operations in the field to destroy even the most restrained set of goals.

2/01/2005 02:07:00 AM

 
Blogger X said...

I have an idea for a game, try to pinpoint the exact moment when this war went from WMD to Spreading Democracy.

2/04/2005 01:39:00 PM

 
Blogger 1138 said...

DLY,

Or should I say dimwitt?
This post is 'stale' over a month old Sheryl and Carter wont be reading your gibberish here.

2/28/2005 06:30:00 PM

 
Blogger 1138 said...

DLY,

Sorry tard I'm not the one entrenched in a 2nd childhood - I occasionally talk to beople at the level they portray themselves at. You get it - try harder open that head of your and let you furher poor some more lead in.

2/28/2005 06:40:00 PM

 
Blogger 1138 said...

Your not going to get mutual respect by deleting my posts.
Your not going to get mutual respect by calling me liberal and equating it with traitor, nigger, and communist.
Your not going to get mutual respect by not offering it first.

Go to hell little man.

2/28/2005 07:24:00 PM

 
Blogger 1138 said...

DLY,

We cannot even establish a civil dialog.
I'm certaily not going to accept an invitation to be you homosexual lover, I'd suggest you contact Jeff Gannon aka Jeff Guckert to satisfy your same sex needs.

As for my conceptual legitimacy I can prove my genetic parentage and date of birth, in fact I can do it for 13 generations back to 1630 in North America ,can you?

2/28/2005 07:56:00 PM

 

<< Home

 


"When marble wears away, and monuments are dust, the songs that guard our soldier's clay, will still fulfil their trust."
"What the world needs now is love, sweet love
It's the only thing that there's just too little of..".